Horses and horseback riding have been a part of Palo Duro Canyon’s history since the days of the Apaches, Kiowa’s, Comanche’s, and Cheyenne’s. However, you shouldn’t expect your ride to be as daring as some of their undoubtedly were, we expect that you’ll want to make your own horseback riding history when you visit Palo Duro Canyon.
Ride on trails through 1,500 acres set aside for horseback riding. You can also share two other trails with hikers and mountain bikers. Bring your own horses (original Coggins papers required). Park your trailer at the equestrian campground. Bring a water bucket for your horse.
About Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West:
Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West was started by Phyllis Nickum to introduce international, and domestic travelers to the exciting experiences of the American West. We highly recommend her horseback riding experience as its truly authentic right down to the Quarter Horses she uses for rides. There is no “follow the leader” on these rides. Riders fan out posse style as they cut through the rich old west history of her 1,000 acres ranch that affords one-of-a-kind views of Palo Duro Canyon. If you are into meeting real-life Texans who love their heritage and flavors of America’s western culture, this is the place for you.
Year Round, Open Range, Horseback Riding
If you are a horse lover, history buff, or just want to have an incredible experience of a lifetime – this is your place! Not your typical nose to tail ride – but an authentic ride with Cowboys and Cowgirls, across our thousands of acres of Texas Land! Cowgirls and Cowboys In The West are also conveniently located for travelers who are traveling Route 66 and I-40.
- * They ride daily at beautiful Los Cedros Ranch- located on the rim of breathtaking Palo Duro Canyon- site of game-changing, historical events of the Old West.
- * The staff of Cowboys and Cowgirls are highly knowledgeable and experienced – they are the real deal!
- * Their ranch offers stunning views and a variety of terrains and skills for every rider’s experience level.
- * Their horses are American Quarter Horses and working cattle horses, well-mannered & healthy!
- * Their horse tack and other equipment is of the highest quality. Most are custom made Oliver’s Saddles*. (*Oliver’s Saddle Shop is located in Amarillo, Texas and is the oldest family owned saddlery in Texas -and that’s good!)
They are mindful of area temperatures, and offer riding experiences year round – weather permitting, of course. They know when temperatures are safe and comfortable for riding. Their Palo Duro Canyon ranch offers a variety of terrains and wind breaks that provide protection – even on windy days. So don’t worry – if you want to ride, they will select a time and day for you to ride!